Here's an easy recipe for petit fours- a fun change from the regular cupcake. Petit fours are tiny pastries, and if you didn't know... petit four actually means "small oven". Many petit fours are layered, and filled. I prefer petit fours that a little easier, and like a cupcake but with different frosting.
YOU WILL NEED:
* your favorite cake recipe or box mix
* cupcake liners
*meringue powder (egg whites)
1. Fill cupcake pans with batter only about 1/3 full WITHOUT the liners. Bake at 350*. Watch closely.. these little guys will be done quickly!
2. Carefully remove from pan to cool, you might need to slide a knife around the edge of each one to get them out.
3. Now place the fully baked cakes in the liners, and prep your royal icing. What is Royal Icing? Its not just fancy icing, it is icing that acts more like a glaze and will sort of drip over and harden on top of your petit four.
4. To create royal icing:
* In a bowl, whisk together 5 tablespoons of meringue powder, and about 3/4 cup of water.
*Add in all of the powdered sugar, with electric mixer- on the paddle attachment.
* Last step- tint with food coloring if you choose.
NOTE: The petit fours that I created are strawberry cake and strawberry royal frosting.. you can use real strawberries for the color and taste for the frosting or strawberry JELLO mix. I used the jello option this time.
5. Use the royal frosting immediately- it will begin to stiffen. Drop a spoonful on the top of each cake and watch it drip. It will pool any extra icing in the bottom of the liner!
6. For a decorative touch, you could pipe on some butter cream details on top!
ENJOY! These will melt in your mouth!