Family Session from last weekend now on the blog !
Saturday, June 30, 2012
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
|fields of wildflowers.|
|cupcake shop and sno cones on the same block. my dilemma.|
|I have a new definition of a wild goose chase.|
|a corbett family reunion.|
|12 seconds that changed the world.|
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Growing up my sister had a strange fascination with those little mushroom birds..you know, the ones that you can find in the floral section of a craft store for wreaths, etc? Anyway she loved those things, not sure what she really did with them, but they were her favorite. We spotted some the other day and she ran over to them SO excited- she quickly remembered her fascination with them years ago... AND we decided to make a necklace with them!
Wrapped wire around both ends of twig leaving room to loop the chain through.
Hot glued the little bird onto the twig.
And used leather cording as the chain.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Here's an easy recipe for petit fours- a fun change from the regular cupcake. Petit fours are tiny pastries, and if you didn't know... petit four actually means "small oven". Many petit fours are layered, and filled. I prefer petit fours that a little easier, and like a cupcake but with different frosting.
YOU WILL NEED:
* your favorite cake recipe or box mix
* cupcake liners
*meringue powder (egg whites)
1. Fill cupcake pans with batter only about 1/3 full WITHOUT the liners. Bake at 350*. Watch closely.. these little guys will be done quickly!
2. Carefully remove from pan to cool, you might need to slide a knife around the edge of each one to get them out.
3. Now place the fully baked cakes in the liners, and prep your royal icing. What is Royal Icing? Its not just fancy icing, it is icing that acts more like a glaze and will sort of drip over and harden on top of your petit four.
4. To create royal icing:
* In a bowl, whisk together 5 tablespoons of meringue powder, and about 3/4 cup of water.
*Add in all of the powdered sugar, with electric mixer- on the paddle attachment.
* Last step- tint with food coloring if you choose.
NOTE: The petit fours that I created are strawberry cake and strawberry royal frosting.. you can use real strawberries for the color and taste for the frosting or strawberry JELLO mix. I used the jello option this time.
5. Use the royal frosting immediately- it will begin to stiffen. Drop a spoonful on the top of each cake and watch it drip. It will pool any extra icing in the bottom of the liner!
6. For a decorative touch, you could pipe on some butter cream details on top!
ENJOY! These will melt in your mouth!
Thursday, June 7, 2012
A perfect start to my summer. As soon as my art room was packed up for the year, we left on a little adventure.
then we drove a little further north... and set up camp.
We watched the sunset..